Tuesday 21 May 2013

Preview: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

The F1 circus sets up base at arguably, its true home in Monte Carlo. The glam and glitz will be matched by the brightest stars (and Sebastian Vettel) on the Formula 1 grid. The paddock will have to endure a very tense atmosphere considering the recent decision over Pirelli tyres, and the inconsistent form of Mercedes qualifying-to-race performance. If a Silver Arrow snatches up P1 or worst case scenario, both get P1/2 then the whole grid will have to suffer an immense amount of build up. There will be carnage. 


Everyone is fully aware of the classic Nelson Piquet quote, Daniel Ricciardo recently likened the GP to racing around a supermarket. The 3.3 km street layout lasts for 78 laps of pure concentration. This is where racing drivers make their money, and I don't mean when Kimi Raikkonen turns up in a diamond encrusted helmet, and then proceeds to lose it. I mean the absolute attention to detail that's required. You drop that for one moment, and hello DNF.

Pirelli bring their supersoft and soft compounds back to the legendary, and they better hope their predicted two stop actually remains a two stop, or else Red Bull will have something more to cry about. Teams like Lotus and Force India who have mastered the tyres will be aiming for the magic one stop that will score them big points.

After a poor start, reserved overtaking and less than average pit stops, Kimi Raikkonen was only beaten by Fernando Alonso on a far superior race strategy. Kimi will need to stop dicking around behind Mercedes like he did in Barcelona. His Monaco history is mixed to say the least, but there's a very good chance his first DNF since his return is about to strike.


Even though their race pace is piss poor, this is the best opportunity for Nico Rosberg or Lewis Hamilton to bag that all important first win. They'll be joined by the agitated Red Bull boys whose technical chief Adrian Newey said the Pirelli tyres are preventing them from unlocking the full potential of their car. 

Here's an idea Adrian, how about you make a car that complies with the rules instead of cheating.

It's difficult to predict anything this season, but if Michael Schumacher was able to achieve pole position last year, it's hard to think that anyone bar Hamilton or Rosberg will secure it again. However, Mark Webber always starts his season at Monaco, so I'm predicting him to get pole and to do well in the race, maybe third.

For the win however I have to believe Fernando Alonso has it in him to dodge the Monaco madness. I don't think Kimi has the hard head to go for it and I cannot see the Mercedes guys staying on the cliff. That only leaves Fernando and Sebastian, and because it's a game of tyres I'm going to back the Ferrari.

NEW HOME

I've been using blogger since November when I started this blog and I have to say it has been very good to me; easy posts, great stats and brilliant set up. With its close link to Google+ I was able to grow my audience to a point where I have thoroughly enjoyed reaching the corners of the F1 universe.

But I feel there is a lot more I can do, and a lot more people to reach, and I think blogger is holding me back.

That's why my aim for summer is to leave blogger and join wordpress. I write for Let's Talk F1 which uses wordpress and it's no coincidence that nearly EVERY F1 blog uses the site, and although it's great to be different, I feel there is a reason for the sheer number of people using the popular blog site.

I'll be completely rebranding everything, including a new name and new layout. The best thing about the move; the content will remain the same. Every race preview, review and every thought no matter how big or small that pops into my head will get published for my amusement and probably your disgust.

I'll making partnerships, brand new features and hopefully putting together a team to transfer my blog into a hot new F1 website.

I'll keep everyone updated as soon as new developments occur. Until then keep it here on My Formula 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment