Tuesday 11 December 2012

The Way It Should Be

If you've not read my previous blog regarding Bernie and my disdain for certain tracks on the Formula 1 calendar, click here.

I'm not going to add or replace any tracks, I'm only going to re-order them in the way which  I see fit. In my opinion, the calendar has a roller-coaster design in the sense that it starts off with a slow incline followed by a drastic exciting drop, and then all of a sudden we're in Bahrain. If you've not seen the calendar for the 2013 season, click here.

I'm a firm believer in the classics. Having been to the 2012 British Grand Prix at Silverstone I've fallen in love with the history surrounding it. Memories I'll hold for the rest of my life seeing Michael Schumacher, Kimi Raikkonen live. Surreal. Monza is undoubtedly my favourite track, high speeds broken up by the amazing chicanes, the lesmos and of course the ever important Curva Parabolica. I'm torn every year knowing that for the German Grand Prix, we're either visiting the F1 Nurburgring or Hockenheim, never both. In the summer of 2013 I'm visiting the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcalona, not to watch the race but just a track visit. My bucket list doesn't consist of jumping out of a plane, or having sex with Brad Pitt, but to visit Monza, Spa, BOTH German tracks, Interlagos, Suzuka, and even though I am not fond of street circuits, I would love to visit Monte Carlo. It's something all F1 fans should witness.

I'm sure tracks like Sepang, Albert Park, Shanghai International Circuit, Circuit de Catalunya, Circuit Gilles Villenuve, Hungaroring and the newest track in Austin will become greats on one condition: Bernie stops preventing them from fulfilling their true potential.

So if you've taken a look at the 2013 calendar you may get the same sort of feeling I got, Australia first, Brazil last, Britain far too early and for some reason the Singapore Grand Prix still exists. It's all getting a bit dull and predictable. But do not mistake my apathy for ignorance. The calendar is structured in the best possible way to ensure the cheapest modes of transport and efficiency.If you've not discovered this pattern or if you're new to the sport, here's a screen shot of the 2012 calendar from Wikipedia: 



Rounds 1-4 are not based on the same continent but they are close together, not exactly what I would call a stint or a leg. Rounds 5-6 are European races but they're split from the rest by round 7 in Canada. The European "leg" begins at round 8 in Valencia and finishes at round 13 in Italy which is the longest stretch in one continent. This is where the bulk of the classics take place. Rounds 14-18 are part of the Asian stretch, it picks up where Bahrain left off. Rounds 19 and 20 then take place in both Americas, finishing off the longest calendar in Formula 1 history. 

What I would suggest is similar to a legendary rock band who embark on a new tour. They play all their new crap first, then they get stuck into what the crowd really want. I Believe Formula 1 should take inspiration and begin shaking things up, building the excitement to an exploding climax (giggity).

The following is my proposal. I will then explain why I have structured it this way. Please bare in mind the 2013 calendar has not been finalised, and the race marked (*) is still subject to confirmation although I hope it's the one we end up going to. This is also not a rating system of my favourite tracks. I'd like to thank Wikipedia for their easy copy and paste system in which I was able to create this table (sorry it's not very neat).
1Petronas Malaysian Grand PrixMalaysia Sepang International CircuitKuala Lumpur
2*Austrian Grand PrixAustria Red Bull Ring, Spielberg
3Singapore Grand PrixSingapore Marina Bay Street CircuitMarina BaySingapore
4Gulf Air Bahrain Grand PrixBahrain Bahrain International CircuitSakhir
5Airtel Indian Grand PrixIndia Buddh International CircuitGreater Noida
6Korean Grand PrixSouth Korea Korea International CircuitYeongam
7Australian Grand PrixAustralia Albert ParkMelbourne
8Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand PrixUnited Arab Emirates Yas Marina CircuitAbu Dhabi
9UBS Chinese Grand PrixChina Shanghai International CircuitShanghai
10Gran Premio de EspañaSpain Circuit de CatalunyaBarcelona
11Magyar NagydíjHungary HungaroringBudapest

12United States Grand PrixUnited States Circuit of the AmericasAustin

13Grand Prix du CanadaCanada Circuit Gilles VilleneuveMontreal
14Grand Prix de MonacoMonaco Circuit de MonacoMonte Carlo

15Shell Belgian Grand PrixBelgium Circuit de Spa-FrancorchampsFrancorchamps

16Großer Preis von DeutschlandGermany NürburgringNürburg
17Japanese Grand PrixJapan Suzuka CircuitSuzuka
18British Grand PrixUnited Kingdom Silverstone CircuitSilverstone
19Gran Premio d'ItaliaItaly Autodromo Nazionale MonzaMonza

20Grande Prêmio do BrasilBrazil Autódromo José Carlos PaceSão Paulo

The reason why I'm not starting the season off with soul destroyers is because the fans deserve something to look forward to. They deserve to think the season starts off at round 1, not round 3 after Singapore and Bahrain. Round 1-2 (Malaysia-Austria) are circuits which have been around for quite some time. The first is well established whereas I'm hoping the Red Bull Ring makes a return (formerly the A1-Ring). I'm not discussing rounds 3-5 as I'll just be glad they're finished with. Even mentioning them makes me sick.

Round 6 at Korea is underrated, but when the drivers don't like it there's not a lot we can do. Albert Park (round 7) is a great opener, I just feel after these years it deserves to have the burden of opening the season lifted from its shoulders. Round 8 would not be so high up usually, but Kimi Raikkonen has made it a staple in the calendar after a brilliant drive and race win in 2012. Round 9-10 have been put there because they are great races and this is when the season takes its way too long break, so we deserve to leave on a good note so we can be excited for the final stretch.

Round 11 should bring us back to where I personally think will be a classic along the lines of Silverstone. The track is beautifully crafted and I suppose one of the reasons I love this track is that it's the closest home track for Kimi. I turned up to Silverstone with a Finland flag and I was the only one, purely because I love Kimi. Hungary is filled with them, it's fantastic! Round 12 at Austin is high up because of the great race produced at it's debut. It could never possibly go higher because of America's failure to grasp anything more than a left turn. Rounds 13-14 have been grouped together because they're street races. I am not a fan of Monte Carlo but I do respect it's history. Canada can never have an illustrious history like it, but these two back-to-back could produce some title twists. Round 15 begins the final stretch. Spa is the first of the classics. Saddened by the news that they may not be able to fund a Grand Prix in coming years, we should take a look back at the memories we've all gained from watching classic wet races, from the DC-Schumacher incident to Kimi's vodka fuel'd overtake at Eau Rouge.

Round 16 will be either of the two German tracks. I'll abstain from commenting on either as I am a firm believer in having them both on the one calendar at all times. 

Suzuka should host round 17 because I like the idea of having the "make one wrong move and you're finished" track towards the end. It's only one further down than the actual 2013 plan.

 Round 18 takes place in sunny Britain. Silverstone, the home of motor racing. Being that it's my home Grand Prix, I would just love the fact that my favourite driver could clinch the World Championship this far down. Silverstone is probably the biggest problem I have with the calendar, year after year. I compare it to the Foo Fighters: when they play live, their greatest song "The Pretender" is always top 3 or 4 during their set. And while this tune is an adrenaline pumper, it should be saved for an encore! The same applies for Silverstone. It should be kept to the end where it belongs.

Monza, my favourite of all the race tracks takes the penultimate round 19. I like to think I've played this track enough times in various racing games that if someone gave me a car, I'd be able to drive round it without instruction. It's the fastest of all the tracks and along with Britain, the Italian Grand Prix has remained every single season with Monza hosting all but one (1980 at Imola while Monza was under construction). Even with the Berniezation of all the great tracks being lost to the sand people circuits, Monza will always be featured, year after year, just like the final race of the calendar.

Round 20 remains the same for me. Brazil is the perfect finish to the racing season. Bar Newey's dominent 2011 season where he won the drivers and constructors championship early on, the title has been decided here quite often. Interlagos is by any definition, the perfect race. From the Senna's S to the amazing pit straight this track should only ever be the perfect place to finish a season. Brazil is the home of the greatest racing driver of all time. If the sport is to continue to pay homage to him, this needs to stay the final race.

We all have our favourite tracks, I can respect the fact that even though it's boring, Monte Carlo is the ultimate test for drivers. But for any racing fan, having all of the great tracks in a row is an amazing idea. It's something that never can come to fruition but the thought of a championship being won or lost because a driver showed he has the capability of riding out the challenges and demands of this calendar, or would he burn out and fade away while a predator waits to take the lead. 

I'm sure many of you have your own preferences, maybe you'd have all the street races in one go, or maybe you'd do away with a few tracks altogether! I'd love to know what you think so get in touch by posting a comment and I'll get right back to you! Or you can tweet me @Houston60 and let me know your favourite track!

No comments:

Post a Comment